It all started back in 2000 when SwimTrek’s founder, Simon Murie wanted to celebrate his 30th birthday. He took himself off to Turkey to attempt to cross the fabled Hellespont which divides Europe from Asia and was made famous in Greek mythology by Hero & Leander and later by the poet Byron.
What with this area being heavily militarised, it took Simon almost a week to get all the permissions in place and just over an hour to actually swim it! This huge in balance between administration and swimming, gave Simon the idea, that there surely must be other swimmers who want to do all these great swims but didn’t have the time to organise everything. Hence SwimTrek created a new branch of activity travel…
Years later we run trips to over 25 locations worldwide offering all sorts of open water swimming experiences from seas, lakes or rivers to choices of various adventures.
Nothing beats arriving at a location, under your own steam as it allows you to appreciate the area in a way that no one else can.
As the world’s first open water swimming operator, and with over a decade of tours under our swimsuits, we still love sharing the fun, the adventure, and the rewards that make our trips such an amazing and unforgettable experience.
“This was one of the best days of my life – great location, great company, great weather and best of all great swims – fantastic.” Robert
Whether you’re a seasoned open water swimmer, or looking at taking those first tentative strokes in the great outdoors, whether you’re flying solo or a on a group holiday, or 16-years-old or 70-years-young, we have the right trip for you.
The Important Stuff:
- Our Trips – For ten years we’ve been travelling the world searching for perfect open water swimming locations, so we’ve now got a trip to suit all standards of swimmers.
- Our Guides – Our guides are as important to the success of a tour as the location itself, so we make sure we’ve got the right people for the right trip – and we’ve succeeded. They’re passionate about open water swimming and highly experienced, they’re also all trained to our exacting standards.
- Our pilots – They are local and have grown up knowing these waters for years. They will take you to hidden spots well off the beaten track and make your trip simply unforgettable.
- Your Safety – It goes without saying that your safety is paramount, and with our qualified and experienced guides, local skippers, and latest safety escort vessels, we will look after you every stroke of the way.
- Your Comfort – At the end of the day you’ve earned the chance to relax and unwind in comfort, which is why we make sure you stay in good quality accommodation, which are generally family owned, small hotels – you can check out where we stay with each tour’s details.
- Your Opinion – Yes, your enjoyment and opinion is really important to us, as is word of mouth, so if you had a great time let us know and tell all your friends – but if you have any issues, tell us so we can improve things next time.
- Your Money – Don’t worry, your money is safe with us. We provide complete financial security for all our clients, and adhere to all government regulations concerning the safety of all our clients’ money.
An adventure holiday you’ll enjoy from the start, you’ll be the envy of your friends and family, and you’ll want to do it again, and again, and again… so take the plunge, and immerse yourself into the experience of a lifetime, you won’t regret it – or forget it!
“The tour was fantastic, challenging in places, but an excellent experience. I was new to open water swimming and the guides and the group ensured I had a brilliant first experience. I'm now hooked!” Laura
Meet our guides